Capacity Building Grant Program

The Northern Territory Government (NTG) in the 2018-19 Budget announced that $1 million has been allocated to the Department of the Chief Minister (DCM) for Local Decision Making (LDM) to fund governance activities that support transitioning services and community capacity building initiatives.

Program objective

The Local Decision Making Governance and Capacity Building Grant Program will provide assistance to progress identified Local Decision Making and capacity building initiatives including:

  • Improving governance structures (i.e. legal status and management of governance arrangements);
  • Building leadership, negotiation and governance / board member skills and expertise;
  • Improving operational rigour (including financial accountability, project management, HR and procurement expertise);
  • Supporting community organisations in transitioning to local providers.

Merit Criteria includes:

  • The benefit the project will deliver to the community / the region during and beyond the project period.
  • The governance and operational improvements the project will deliver to the organisation.
  • The leadership and capacity building skills that will be delivered as a result of the project.
  • The value for money offered by the project (can it be supported by an alternative grants   program).

Ineligible activities include:

  • Recurring maintenance of facilities or operational costs (e.g. rent, service charges, administration);
  • Projects that have already been completed and/or have outstanding debts;
  • Fund-raising or charitable events;
  • Ongoing Wages and salaries (able to be time limited to assist in transition)

Applicants

The Grant will be open to organisations in regional and remote areas of the Northern Territory with the primary benefit of the grant focused on Aboriginal people in remote communities, Regional and town camps.

To be eligible you must be a legal entity, have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be one of the following entities:

  • Aboriginal enterprise, organisation or partnership
  • Not for profit organisation

You are not eligible to apply if you are:

  • an individual (without an organisation to auspice)
  • a Commonwealth, state or territory government agency or body (including government business enterprises)

Scope

The benefits of grants accessed under this program are aimed at those residing in regional remote communities and town camps.

Community Capacity Building (definition) - "Activities, resources and support that strengthen the skills, abilities and confidence of people and community groups to take effective action and leading roles in the development of communities".

(Strengthening Communities, S Skinner, CDF publications, 2006)

Timing - The fund will be open until expended and reviewed after a 12 month period.

Part 1 - $500 000 – Local Decision Making - Grants

Funding support - Two funding streams will be established:

  • Grants under $20 000
  • Grants between $20 000 - $50 000

Funding / Applicant contribution:

  • This grant is designed to support current and identified emerging local decision making sites.
  • For initiatives with a total project value of less than $20,000, grant funding will be up to 100 per cent of eligible project costs.
  • For initiatives with a total project cost of more than $20,000, grant funding will be up to 75 per cent of your eligible project costs. Applicants will need to identify where the other 25 per cent will be sourced, or ‘in-kind’ contribution.
  • Applicants may apply for a partial or full exemption to the co-funding requirement if they can demonstrate exceptional circumstances.
 Updated 2 years ago